2018 proved to be a good year for the local entertainment industry. Our wish for 2019 is that may it surpass or at least, equal the previous year’s achievements. Hope that our producers continue to make good and quality films, even the independent ones. The same holds true to our top networks: that they continue to churn in interesting and well-conceptualized programs for the benefit of the viewers. We also wish that new important stars will get discovered whose talents overflow.
It’s now 2019 and the citizens of the world welcome the year with positivity and enthusiasm.
Traditionally, when the New Year ushers in, everybody wishes to have a fresh start all over again. It’s like experiencing a rebirth where we can make remarkable changes on areas which we think can still get enhanced. As the old adage goes…there’s always room for improvement, right?
As we are to turn a new leaf in our calendar year, we would like to make our New Year’s wishes for some of our brightest luminaries. Hope that the “Year of the Pig” will turn out to be generally productive and fruitful for them. So, here we go…
- Vice Ganda. A film vehicle that would highlight his versatility as an actor. Vice is talented and is capable of experimenting on other genres. People might eventually get tired of the same brand of comedy he offers, particularly during the annual Metro Manila Film Festival. Although his latest offering Fantastica is a certified blockbuster, but for how long can he pull off that magic? For one, he’s not getting any younger. He should tweak something along the way and offer something new. The same with his weekly TV gabfest Gandang Gabi Vice. He ought to introduce fresh segments to sustain its present viewership considering how fickle-minded TV buffs are especially the younger crop. Reinvention is the name of the game for Vice.
- Kathryn Bernardo and Daniel Padilla. Continuous popularity, more box-office hit movies in the same scale as The How’s of Us, acting awards that would validate their growth as actors and a more solid off-cam relationship. After La Luna Sangre, the fans clamor for their next prime time offering. It would be nice to see the two working on a new material so that viewers won’t get tired watching them.
- Alden Richards. Another chart-topping TV series after Victor Magtanggol. The Pambansang Bae was able to prove that he could hold his own in the ratings game so it’s just but apt that being one of GMA’s hottest talents, he’ll be given another big-budgeted show. Continued exposure in various Kapuso offerings like Eat Bulaga and Sunday PinaSaya where he gets to exhibit his considerable hosting skills. Considering his immense popularity, he should also make a solo silver screen project. More TV commercials and another successful record album would also be nice.
- Coco Martin. His prime time soap Ang Probinsyano continues to lord it over the ratings game. The show’s popularity is phenomenal. It would be nice if the plot offers more exciting and unpredictable twists for the benefit of its loyal viewers which come from all walks of life. More box-office hit movies after the smash success of his 2018 Metro Manila Film Festival entry Jack Em Popoy: The Puliscredibles opposite Vic Sotto and Maine Mendoza. It would also be great if he gets to work on his next directorial job after Panday. It could be another action-fantasy with a difference or an entirely different material. Why not a rom-com for a change? Lastly, more product endorsements to come.
- Dingdong Dantes. Continuous good showing of his current prime time offering Cain at Abel in the ratings chart. It is able to hold its own even if pitted with the much more established Ang Probinsyano over at the rival network ABS-CBN. More acting accolades and box-office hit films like his recent starrer Fantastica along with Vice Ganda and Richard Gutierrez. Another good movie under his own film production Agosto Dos. His two previous ventures on the Aswang Chronicle series were a success. Continued family bliss especially now that his wife Marian Rivera is on the family way once again.
- Nadine Lustre and James Reid. Another mega-hit film after Never Not Love You. Acting citations for their works as they venture into more mature roles. More product endorsements. A new soap would be very welcome, too, since their last was Till I Met You some two years ago.
- Liza So erano and Enrique Gil. After Bagani, another chart-topping prime time soap that will also exhibit their considerable acting talent. More commercials and product endorsements. Another hit movie and for Liza, that her remake of Darna will truly soar high, box-office-wise.
- Jennylyn Mercado and Dennis Trillo. That both will continue to shine as highly-competent actors. Dennis exhibits fine acting in Cain at Abel while Jen will start on her latest soap opera titled Luv U 2 opposite Gabby Concepcion. A movie together will be great. Dennis appeared in the 2018 MMFF entry One Great Love opposite Kim Chiu where he won best actor award. For Jen, another successful album that will spawn a hit ditty.
- Nora Aunor. A big-budgeted and commercially successful movie that will put her back into the mainstream. The public misses seeing Ate Guy on critically-acclaimed blockbuster projects and not just on indie films. While it’s true that she still gets recognized for her great acting even in small movies, it’s still different when she’s seen in mainstream potboilers. She hasn’t done a film for Star Cinema yet so it would really be a grand event if ever. A successful follow-up to her hit soap Onanay.
- Vilma Santos. A huge film project that would star her opposite Sharon Cuneta or Judy Ann Santos whom she hasn’t worked with yet. It would be exciting to see her screen combination with said actresses whether it’s a drama or other genres. It would also be fabulous if she will be able to do a musical special reminiscent of her Vilma! days.
- Sharon Cuneta. That her reunion movie with Gabby Concepcion finally pushes through. After all these times, many of their followers are waiting in vain as to when the project will come to reality. If she has done a triumphant reunion vehicle opposite Robin Padilla in Unexpectedly Yours and Richard Gomez in Three Words to Forever, she can also do one with Gabby. Of course, a slimmer figure for her to recapture her leading lady features once again. Hope that she would also be given a musical-variety show in the tradition of her The Sharon Cuneta Show before.
- Judy Ann Santos. A movie with perennial love team Piolo Pascual. This is what their fans are waiting for. It’s time that they make their reunion project since their last was ages ago (Don’t Give Up On Us). It would also be great to see her doing a movie opposite husband Ryan Agoncillo. That her upcoming soap over at ABS-CBN will be another hit.
- Marian Rivera. A good dramatic movie vehicle that would win her a Best Actress trophy. Yan is a talented thespian, very versatile in fact. She excels in almost all genres. She’s won acting trophies for television. It’s about time that she bags one for movies. It would also be a fabulous idea if she makes another hit movie with husband Dingdong Dantes.
- Aga Muhlack-Gabby Concepcion-Richard Gomez.That they continue to be given meaty roles being reliable showbiz veterans. For Aga, he has proven he’s still a leading man material in First Love opposite Bea Alonzo, so another hit potboiler should be in the offing. It would also be a welcome idea if he can have a new television show like a sitcom or soap opera. Meanwhile, Gabby is enjoying success in GMA where he is under contract. His soap Ika-6 Na Utos was such a phenomenal hit and his next one, Luv U 2 with Jennylyn Mercado is very promising. As for Goma, he just scored a hit with Three Words to Forever.
- Angel Locsin. That her forthcoming prime time soap opera The General’s Daughter will become a certified chart-topper. It would also be a good idea if she and Marian Rivera make a film together. It would definitely be a blast! Of course, continued happiness in her love life with Neil Arce.
- Piolo Pascual and Jericho Rosales. That their acting talent continue to get recognized. These two stars have been around in the ‘biz for quite some time already and it’s nice they continue to excite their followers. PJ was last seen in the soap Since I Found You and is in the cast of Home Sweetie Home, while Echo sizzles in the prime time offering Halik. It would also be great to see the two star in a movie together which would highlight their great acting chops.
- Maine Mendoza. More successful projects outside the AlDub umbrella. Jack Em Popoy: The Puliscredibles is a strong start. That her sitcom Daddy’s Girl with Vic Sotto continue in being a chart-topper. More product endorsements/commercials. It would also be interesting if she’ll have a solo TV show where she can exhibit her considerable hosting skills.
- Sarah Geronimo. A movie that would win her an acting trophy. Sarah need not prove anything anymore when it comes to box-office. She also has numerous awards already when it comes to her singing career. An acting award is what’s just lacking. Of course, continued happiness with Matteo Guidicelli.
- Vic Sotto. That he continues to entertain the public with his tried-and-tested antics through his movies and television programs. His showbiz career is one of the most durable. More commercials and of course, continued happiness in his personal life.
- Bianca Umali and Miguel Tanfelix. That they be given a follow-up soap after the highly-successful Kambal Karibal. This tandem holds a lot of promise. Apart from the fact that they complement each other physically, both can act. Hope that they’ll get more big accounts for product endorsement.